Dimensions: 50×35 cm
The steam ship Flandria was built on behalf of the Dutch shipping company Koninklijke Hollandsche Lloyd by Barclay Curle & Co (Glasgow, United Kingdom). Sistership: Orania. From 1922 to 1936, she serves South America at the departure of Amsterdam. The service is closed in 1936. Bought in May 1936 by Transat. Renamed Bretagne. Reconditioned and placed at the beginning of 1937 on the “slow” line connecting Saint-Nazaire and Bordeaux to the West Indies and the Firm Coast. On the same line already sails West Indies steamer De La Salle, of similar size and style (almost a sistership), built by the same shipyards. In April 1937, runs aground at Punta Galera, close to Puerto Colombia, and must be refloated. During the summer 1937, is placed on the line of the Baltic with Columbie Torpedoed on October 14, 1939 off Land’s End, England, by the German submarine U45, whereas she sailed in convoy from Jamaica.