Image

Merapi

Tags

, , ,

Merapi - C.A. de Vries

Dimensions: 50 x 35 cm
Technique: Watercolor

The Merapi was a Dutch steam ship from the Rotterdamse Lloyd, active in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

 

Image

Dempo

Tags

, , ,

Dimensions: 90 x 60 cm
Technique: Oil paint

This is the ms. Dempo at her departure from Rotterdam (The Netherlands) on her way to the Dutch East Indies.

The Dempo was build almost a year after her sister ship Baloeran and left the shipyard of De Schelde, Vlissingen in February 1931. During World War II, in March 1941, the ship was converted into a troop transport ship in Liverpool and served as part of the SNF 17 convoy. During that journey, from Napels to North-Africa, she was torpedoed by the German submarine U 371.

Image

Massachusetts

Tags

, , , , ,

Dimensions: 80 x 60 cm
Technique: Oil paint

Depicted is the USS Massachusetts being refueled in the far east by a T2 Tanker. The Massachusetts was part of the South Dakota-class, a class build to combat the German Bismarck-class.

She was the seventh ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the sixth state, and one of two ships of her class (along with her sister Alabama) to be donated for use as a museum ship. Among the ships armed with 16 inch guns during World War II, Massachusetts stands out because it is believed that she fired the US Navy’s first and last 16 in (410 mm) shells of the war.

More on Wikipedia

Image

K-18

Tags

, , , , ,

Dimensions: 80×50 cm
Technique: Oil paint

The Dutch submarine K-18 was build by shipyard Wilton Feijenoord in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) and was launched in 1932. She mainly served in the waters of the Dutch Indies and became renowned for her journey around the world in which the crew performed gravity measurements at different places around the world.

More information (in Dutch)

Image

Nieuw Amsterdam (II)

Tags

, , ,

Dimensions: 90×60 cm
Technique: Oil paint

The Nieuw Amsterdam was a Dutch ocean liner built in Rotterdam for the Holland America Line. This Nieuw Amsterdam, the second of four Holland America ships with that name, is considered by many to have been Holland America’s finest ship.

Originally she was to be named Prinsendam, however during construction, Holland America Line decided to name their new flagship Nieuw Amsterdam, in honor of the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam, modern day New York.

Construction on the new liner was carried out at the N.V. Rotterdam Drydock Company. Christened by Queen Wilhelmina in April 1937, Nieuw Amsterdam was, at 36,982 tonnes, the largest liner ever constructed in the Netherlands up to that time. Proudly she was dubbed the Dutch “Ship of peace” since there were no provisions for possible war use incorporated in her design.

More on Wikipedia

Image

Amstel

Tags

, , ,

Amstel - C.A. de Vries

Dimensions: 70×50 cm
Technique: Gouache

The barque Amstel was property of the Amsterdam trading company Van Eeghen & Co. In 1885 the Amstel ran on the shallows Coreauo of the Java Sea, the ship was sold including it’s cargo in Semarang. After repairs the ship continued it’s journeys mainly carrying salt on behalf of the Indies coastal trade companies under the name Barendina Osinia.

Image

Flandria (Bretagne)

Tags

, , ,

Flandria (Bretagne) - C.A. de Vries

Dimensions: 50×35 cm
Technique: Gouache

The steam ship Flandria was built on behalf of the Dutch shipping company Koninklijke Hollandsche Lloyd by Barclay Curle & Co (Glasgow, United Kingdom). Sistership: Orania. From 1922 to 1936, she serves South America at the departure of Amsterdam. The service is closed in 1936. Bought in May 1936 by Transat. Renamed Bretagne. Reconditioned and placed at the beginning of 1937 on the “slow” line connecting Saint-Nazaire and Bordeaux to the West Indies and the Firm Coast. On the same line already sails West Indies steamer De La Salle, of similar size and style (almost a sistership), built by the same shipyards. In April 1937, runs aground at Punta Galera, close to Puerto Colombia, and must be refloated. During the summer 1937, is placed on the line of the Baltic with Columbie Torpedoed on October 14, 1939 off Land’s End, England, by the German submarine U45, whereas she sailed in convoy from Jamaica.

More information

Image

Garoet (II)

Tags

, ,

Dimensions: 50×35 cm
Technique: Gouache

The Garoet, named after a town in the West Java province of Indonesia, was build in 1948 on behalf of the Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd. The ship measuring 157 m in length and 19 m in width was build by shipyard Wilton-Fijenoord N.V. in Schiedam, The Netherlands. After modernization in 1971 the ship was renamed to Straat Tanga.

Image

New Jersey (II)

Tags

, , , , ,

Dimensions: 80×50 cm
Technique: Oil paint

USS New Jersey (BB-62), (“Big J” or “Black Dragon”) is an Iowa-class battleship, and was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the U.S. state of New Jersey. New Jersey earned more battle stars for combat actions than the other three completed Iowa-class battleships, and is the only U.S. battleship to provide gunfire support during the Vietnam War.

New Jersey was decommissioned for the last time in 1991, having earned a Navy Unit Commendation for service in Vietnam and 19 battle and campaign stars for combat operations during World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Lebanese Civil War, and service in the Persian Gulf. After a brief retention in the mothball fleet, she was donated to the Home Port Alliance in Camden, New Jersey, and began her career as a museum ship 15 October 2001.

More on Wikipedia